Subscribe to Posts & News

Stay connected for the lastest book news!

Connect

  • Facebook - White Circle
  • Twitter - White Circle
  • LinkedIn - White Circle

Copyright © 2016-2017 Mary Frances Fisher

Website by Potterton Creative

West Side Market

Preparing for a 1939 party in honor of Louis Sheridan, the finest fruits, vegetables, and meats were purchased at the West Side Market. But the market, located at the corner of W. 25th Street and Lorain Road, dates back to 1840 and began as an open air market.

In 1912, the markethouse with a  137 foot clock tower was dedicated and remains to this day; pictured below are vendor stalls before . . .

. . .and after setup.

As you can see from the picture below, taken in 1946, vendors set up their goods for sale on the sidewalk. The West Side Market is Cleveland’s oldest publicly owned market where anyone can purchase a stall/stand to sell their produce, fruits, meat, and dairy products to the public.